Friday, May 31, 2013

Simple Renewal

Moving to a new city is hard work!  I am so blessed to not have any feelings of regret when I look back on my decision to move to this city; Tampa is simply perfect for this season of my life.  However, all the details involved with a major life change have been doing their best to weigh me down these past weeks.  Then I remembered my poor neglected blog and the reason I started it, which is to make a JOYFUL NOISE no matter the circumstances!  Knowing I needed help making that joyful noise right now I did something that I know always gives results in the 'feeling renewed' department: I went to confession.

I have been trying to go to confession literally for weeks now and for a million and one frustrating reasons it just wasn't happening.  I finally realized that one of the churches around here actually has daily confession (how did I miss that??) and so I rushed over and stood in line, anxiously awaiting my turn for that soul-freeing sacrament.  How people go so long without taking advantage of this beautiful gift is beyond me!  My prayer time before and after was so very fulfilling and I worked through some of my bothers with Our Lady there to glorify her Son with me!  

I am continually struck by how profound an experience confession is practically every time I go.  Its as though the Holy Spirit is so dang excited about us admitting our wrongs with the intent of trying very hard not to do them again that He throws us a prayer party.  Problems that had me in tears even yesterday seem so laughably easy today; my mind is filled with prayerful solutions and I now have time to simply bask in loving God.  I am filled with humble thanksgiving that makes me want to shower others with love.
My current feelings toward our Creator
I'm not saying that confession is the cure-all for any and every problem life throws at us.  We are not yet in our eternal home and this life can be very hard.  However, if you turn on your television and watch the commercials, 9/10 times the products or services being offered are to make your day-to-day life simpler.  So we run out and buy all these things and our houses end up cluttered and we are spending all our time fixing things that break and we blink and realize our lives are passing us by without us really LIVING.  That might be a bit harsh, but the point is going to confession simplifies my life in the most real, profound, and LASTING way.  If I gave that and my prayer life in general the time I give to shopping or cruising around the internet, I know I would have much more time to spend enjoying with humble thanksgiving the little gifts God showers us with every moment, instead of worrying about how I'm going to make everything work.
Some of His little gifts that have made my day when I took time to really see them:

A random pink bird when at the beach

This spectacular view

Who knew a pistachio was so beautiful??

One of my all-time favorites; a simple leaf that stopped me in my tracks

Traffic on a bridge; perfect reminder :)
What are some ways God has shown you His love lately?

P.S. Pope Francis has called for a world-wide hour of adoration this Sunday, June 6!  Its 5-6pm Roman time, which is 11am EST.  Spread the news!


2 comments:

  1. I love your posts! So refreshing and joyful to read. Thank you :).

    God has shown me His love through small things (like you said)-- sitting with Isaiah reading a book, making a pie for Matt, nursing Hope, sitting in a quiet house :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Kristin :) I always get excited when you write another post as well! So happy to hear how God shows His love!!

    ReplyDelete