Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Painting Glass

I decided to actually DO something from one of the pins on Pinterest, making that first step to really justifying spending so much time on a website.  I'm not sure I have achieved that justification today, but the results are still enjoyable :)  I attempted to turn some glass blue, as inspired by Lucy over at Craftberry Bush.  Check out her site!  Especially for the full instructions to this craft- I mostly just give my experience.
Isn't that lovely?  That's why I wanted to try!

I visited an honest-to-goodness hoarder house that made my thrift store shopping fingers just itch to take a week's vacation and clean house to procure some real treasures!  The only thing I left with, however, was an old cider jug and a lasting regret for the things left behind.  I consoled myself with thoughts of how much change my new jug could hold.
I thought to myself, "Why store my soon-to-be riches in some boring clear jug (can you just hear the disdain?) when it could be stored in a BLUE jug?!"  I know, life-altering thoughts here folks!   So I remembered what I had read on Lucy's blog, gathered some glue, a paintbrush, and some food coloring and looked over the instructions once more.


Now, I have to say that recipes and I have a very open relationship.  I see a recipe and think, "Ok I've got the general idea.  Let's see what happens!" Generally, this works (and obviously, there are those that require a more exact following) but sometimes, I know the original creator had something a little different *cough* better in mind.  Other times, I know it wasn't what they were going for but it still works.  I think that was the case in this instance.  I did ATTEMPT to follow the recipe but as I was trying to catch up on the season finale of Once Upon a Time at the same time, it didn't work out too well.  I switched teaspoons to Tablespoons (oopsies) and didn't get the number of each right at all.  So I think mine was too glue-y versus the more watery one at Lucy's site.  Anyway, I decided to try my mixture since you can wash it off and try again if its too terrible.

The streaks pretty much disappear as it dries
Lucy says you have to paint really thin and be patient adding numerous coats only after each one fully dries.  Try as I might (I had to wash it clean twice!) I could not seem to make it to more than 3 coats without messing up.  I also kept missing that there was still wet spots between the second and third coats so it was smear the wet and half-dry together, making it clump.  It was getting a little frustrating so I decided to just step back for a few minutes and see what happened.

The slightly balding outcome of 3 coats.
I realized there were going to be some bald spots, and was deciding if I was still in the mood for this when I got an idea.  The food coloring was still there in its 4-hued glory and I realized my blue was simply acting up because it was lonely.  So I mixed in 2 drops of green.

I realize how potent 2 drops of green is and slightly panic for a minute
I filled in the bald spots with the new, greener, better color (yes, I'm playing favorites!) and couldn't be happier!  The result was something that looked like it was molded out of sea glass.  I don't know why my glass is more frosted than the original look I was attempting, other than that there was too much glue in mine.  I love this different effect nonetheless though!


Has anyone else tried something like this?  How did it turn out?  

No comments:

Post a Comment